Tuesday, May 16, 2006

MOM & DAD I miss U

Through the clouds of the vast sky my line of sight traveled and met a house where I wasn’t born, I didn’t grow up and I never stayed but still which can be called my home just because, those who stay there, I owe them my birth, I owe them each day of my life and I owe them myself- My parents.

It wasn’t dawn yet but I could see someone wake up and enter the kitchen. She is my MOM, best at making coffee that I used to have it 6 times a day which had reduced to once or none a day after I left her. And now I can see her make what she is best at, coffee.

“Mom, Milk is boiled enough. It’s going to spill out “

No use she can’t hear me. She is thinking something and I bet I can read her mind right. She is thinking that if my son was here he would have loved to have this coffee more than anyone.

She realized just in time to turn off the stove. I told you she is best at it because, even milk wont spill out without her permission.

She started cleaning the dishes and again fell into deep thoughts. She is just wondering why she woke up so early when she has nothing to do unlike when I was there. Then she had to make my lunch box for school or college.

“Oh God! I miss that “Egg Curry” with half sliced egg pieces in the carriage tempting me right from the first period of my class till lunch”

Am I reading her wrong? It’s been some years since I left her and yet hasn’t she come out of that routine or doesn’t she want to or am I wrong in reading her?

Now the birds outside my house that are never seen but just heard told my mom that it is dawn and time for my dad to wake up. I envy my dad because he still sees my mom’s face first in the morning. He woke up got ready for his work, made some comments about the idli mom made. She never makes when I am at home. May be she is taking her revenge on dad for making me move away from her because even he doesn’t like idli. Obviously he is my dad, if I don’t like how would he like or is it the other way? Whatever!

Next thing mom does is turn on the TV and watch all the serials Telugu and Hindi until she finds some Chiranjeevi movie in some channel. Now I realize why I am so tired of Chiranjeevi movies, blame my mom who made me watch all his movies some n number of times
and who never allows me to watch Pawan Kalyan movies and the name she gave him Chirutha(not cheetah, CHIRU-THAmmudu...much much before Cherry's debut). She never misses a single dialogue or scene on TV but by 2pm lunch is ready. She still makes lunch for me I guess because she only makes my favorite dishes. Of course I like all the dishes she makes.

After having some good food next thing she would love to do is have some good afternoon sleep-her favorite afternoon pastime. Its not been long that she fell asleep but she woke up all of a sudden sweating and fearing something. This dream that had me in it has been reappearing to her from quite some days and not allowing her to sleep.
“I am sorry Mom, I am not even allowing you to sleep just like when I was less than a year old when you stayed awake many nights taking good care of me hoping nothing would happen to me like my brother whom I never saw and never had. I am sorry mom. Some things are just inevitable but we have to accept it when they happen”


She fell asleep again and this time I made sure I won’t disturb her again. She woke up in the evening and I knew she wasn’t sure of what to do now. She did not have to sweep the corridor where I used to remove my shoes leaving lot of sand on floor, she need not have to pick my bags and put them in right place nor had she to compel me to get up from watching TV and take bath. But she woke up, she just wants to follow the routine or at least feel the routine, as she can’t have her son in her routine anymore.

Dad came home now. And then her evening just passed so fast making tea for dad, watching 7’0 clock serials, making dad watch them, with their one sided arguments which always mom won because dad is so intelligent and because he loves her so much.

After turning off the TV and the lights in the house Mom headed towards her bedroom passing mine and switching off the bed light in my room, which was allocated for me if I ever come back home, because I can’t sleep even with bed light on. She still feels I am in there. I know it from the way she said “GOOD NIGHT raa” so that dad can’t hear her and I can. I believe she can see me.

But I wished I can talk to her and tell her how I felt that day, when I went to my work just as any day and which was just like any other day until some guy came and shot me for the heck of it.

“Mom, I never knew that guy. He just came and tried to shoot someone else but it hit me. Before I could realize that it hurts, my blood started oozing out of my heart, which was losing its pace. I knew it was going to stop some time now. I was sure it was my last day and the only thing I felt was pain. It was pain, not from the shot but because more than anything and anyone I wanted to see you MOM
then. I wished I died in your lap. My thoughts though fading were able to see you mom but not my eyes. My sight became darker and darker but you were not there mom. Mom one warm hug of yours would have made me alive again, my sight brighter and my thoughts stronger. Before the bullet killed me I was dead because of the thought of dying on a land where I did not belong and dying without seeing you mom.”

“Next thing I see is you mom in this very house listening to dad saying the news of my death to you. I expected you would almost break into tears but no. You became silent and speechless. I could still recall that bloodless and expressionless face of yours which was brought back to life, along with you, by dad’s constant efforts. And then I told myself that you were so lucky, unlike me who had none to bring me back to life when I was dying, to have dad beside you taking care of you. I love you dad for all the care you show and will be showing towards mom whom I had left. “

“Mom don't allow that dream of yours, where you see me dying and crying out for you ruin your sleep and don’t miss me too much and I know you won’t because you can still see me in that very house annoying you at times, angry at you at times, shouting at you at times and which I never told you is that all those times it was just my Love to you MOM. I can’t resist but say I miss you MOM. Now don’t cry but go to sleep, tomorrow you have to wake up early in the morning to watch INDRA at 8’o clock”

No comments: