Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Made for each other, ONLY for each other

“Congratulate me Dad. I have become a Dad now. Your KODALU gave birth to a baby boy.”
“Congrats raa” spoke the voice on the other end of the call.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
“now you will get to know the pain that I experienced or more than that” is what I heard of course not from the phone but from the alter ego of my Dad inside myself.
“what? I never gave any pain to my parents. I was their obedient son. Of course never topped the class , Couldn’t get into IIT as they wished, smoked when I was sure they wouldn’t know, boozed when I was not in my home town and after all marriage is my personal problem so selected my own partner but informed them because I am their obedient son.”

“Even my son would be just like me, so obedient towards his parents”

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .

“thanks dad, We would have been so happy if u people were here”
“Our wishes are always with u raa, take care of my Kodalu”


. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .

years passed by. My son grew up to be as obedient as I wished. Never spoke a word without me prompting it, never took a step without giving that “DAD! CAN I?” look at me. Even after so many years after that day when I wished my newly born kid would be just as obedient as me. It was almost before 4 years and yes I am successful in making my dream of obedient son come true. Of course every now and then when my love my sweetheart tries to make him eat he just shouts, throws food all over the place, makes me so pissed off. But he is still so obedient that one angry look at him he just finishes his food but slowly. Poor thing my wife has to wait till he finishes but can’t complain she takes immense pleasure in that. Also when we enter a candy store or grocery store, had to keep a good watch over him not to pick anything and ask me at the counter to pay for it.

But still he is my sweet little obedient son. I love playing with him, I love his hug, which I get everyday, and I love his kisses. But in the night when he wakes up crying and keeps my wife awake all the night. . . . . . .ahh! forget it . After all he is my own obedient son.

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .

Again years passed by, he is 15 yrs old now. Always sitting in front of TV, never caring for my wife’s words. But as soon as I come home he is still my obedient son, who on my saying(repeatedly of course) starts his homework. On weekends never stays home, spends some quality time with his friends than with his dad of course again with my permission only. He is 15 yrs old now. Still I don’t know his hobbies, favorites, likes dislikes etc. No doubt is my obedient son, but Am I asking for too much when I want to know about my son. I know everything about my wife whom I have met only after her first 20(odd) years. But my son who is with me right from his birth-I don’t know much about him.

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .
“Dad I got selected for the job.”
“congrats son”
“Dad I need to talk to you about something.”
“what?”
“I have chosen my life partner and I want to marry her and move out from this house once I get the job and get settled and I want your permission for my marriage without which I wouldn’t marry(did he really mean it?)”
“it’s ok raa(feeling proud of my obedient son). As you wish.”

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . .

“Congratulate me Dad. I have become a Dad now. Your KODALU gave birth to a baby boy.”
“Congrats raa”, I said and then after hanging up the call went to my wife who was sleeping on the bed. Lied down next to her and said “ Your son became Dad today, he just called.”
She turned towards me with a mixed feeling of surprise and happiness and asked “when will we go to see our grand son?”

It was quite unintentional but couldn’t stop these words flow out of my mouth “It was YOUR parents first, YOUR son then and now YOUR grand son who are sharing your life. But as a life partner what part of life is dedicated for me? I married you not just to live my life with you but to live our life together. One fine day YOUR son enters our life takes away my time from you and your time from me and before we could completely know him for all the time we have spent(or wasted) over him he leaves us. And now you want YOUR grandson to spend the rest of your life with. Even I went blind over our son, before marriage I couldn’t even tolerate you sharing love with your siblings but once our son came I never felt it and moreover I just loved him and not you. But what’s use in repenting now, after all the life is gone. Hope at least in my next life I get you as my partner and I will make sure that none exists who will share my love towards you and your love towards me.”

My eyes filled with tears and my sight became so blurred that I couldn’t see anything but felt something warm moving towards me and hug me. She is my wife who then wiped away my tears just to make me see her eyes filled with tears, with same innocent _expression that told me 30 years back “For all the love you show towards me I cannot stop myself love u more”

All of a sudden everything went blank, our breaths stopped, we stopped feeling the warmth of each other, felt our souls rising making their first wish “Oh GOD! Please make us both one again in next life and make sure we love each other and only each other through out our lives”

No comments: